Super Troopers 2, A review of 2 perspectives

By: Kenneth Vieira

      Super Troopers 2 is the anticipated sequel to the original Super Troopers movie from 2001. 
The 2001 film proved to be a cult comedy classic. Super Troopers 2 catches up with the wacky

state troopers from the original and leads you on a new adventure. Apparently, there is a border

dispute between the US and Canada, and the Troopers are in charge of establishing a patrol

station in the disputed area. Without reading reviews, I was curious about it. I think it would be

worth a watch. It’s crazy how much reviews/opinions can impact your thoughts about a

particular thing. Here are the first two reviews I found online.  


    The first review on my search was from Variety.com.  The title of the article is “A sequel to
the 2002 cult comedy 'Super Troopers' finds our idiot heroes making bad '80s jokes that feel even

mustier than they did the first time.” As you can see, not a title that gives you a very positive

outlook on the movie. The article goes on to say this movie is “aggressively lame”, and “cheesy,

and dumb”. The author Owen Gleiberman, goes on to describe some the jokes that he thought were

lame. The jokes the author describes may ruin the movie for people who haven’t watched it,

especially because it isn’t out yet. The article also hints that this movie is very 80's, and it seems very

dated. This review made me skeptical to give this movie a watch. Maybe I should wait until I can rent

it.


     The next review I found was from IGN.com. The title of the article is “A Hilarious Mustache

Rehash”. This is a much different vibe we’re getting from the first article. The author Tom

Jorgenson,describes how the cult classic is back and describes the plot a bit. Tom goes on to say

things like “Rest assured, Super Troopers 2 is very funny”. The article goes into how some of the

material is edgy, and may push the envelope a bit. Towards the end of the article Tom does admit that

the some of the jokes/plot may be recycled, but you'll enjoy the new stuff as well. This article gave

me a much different outlook than the first. After reading this article, I would probably go see this

film. 

    
     After reading both reviews, I don’t know what to believe. What’s the truth? This is much like

the news channels reporting the same events but being totally different/biased. I think most

reviews are completely subjective and can hardly ever be from a neutral perspective. This is

why I tend to avoid movie reviews until I see the film myself first.


References

Gleiberman, O. (2018, April 18). Film Review: 'Super Troopers 2'. Retrieved April 18, 2018, from http://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/super-troopers-2-review-1202756548/


Jorgensen, T. (2018, April 16). Super Troopers 2 Review. Retrieved April 18, 2018, from http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/16/super-troopers-2-review

Comments

  1. It is interesting to find two completely different reviews on this. My first thought was...who doesn't like Super Troopers?! The first one was GREAT and hilarious. It seems as though Gleiberman might not have a sense of humor. Some of the points he makes about the jokes being cheesy or lame or it having an 80's vibe are EXACTLY what made the first one funny. The jokes in the first one weren't meant for critical thinkers, they were meant for laughs and cheap ones at that. Although, I would like to hear more about Gleiberman's review because this summary is rather short and doesn't give me much insight other than I don't really care for this Gleiberman character at the moment. Jorgenson seems like more my type. He gets it. Super Troopers was never meant to be anything more than cheesy! The plot being somewhat recycled is okay by me because I LOVED the first one. For me, it was about the character development more so than the plot. Their state troopers, there isn't much more of a plot that can be used other than they're fighting some sort of crime on the state highways. Maybe I am just holding onto the first one too much and need to let it go and give this one a completely different look but Gleiberman did not dissuade me from wanting to watch this sequel, he only made me think that he has a heart of stone and has never laughed in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading your post, I think I would go see the movie. I think Jorgenson's review is probably more accurate to how the movie will be. I mean it is Super Troopers. I would not expect a deep plot but rather a movie that would make me laugh. I am sure Gleiberman is right that the movie is filled with bad 80s jokes, but I think that is what I would like about it. Sometimes good dumb humor is nice as a break from more serious movies.

      I think when people review movies they need to understand that not all movies are meant to award winning films. Some are just made for pure entertainment. But you are right that movie reviews will deter people from going to see a film. Movie reviews should be more objective and gave accurate information about what a movie is about. When people are influenced by subjective reviews they may miss out on an entertaining, hilarious movie.

      Delete
  3. It sounds to me again after reading the two critics like two completely different movies. Gleiberman goes on stating that the movie is a bunch of lame cheesy 80’s jokes that are even worse than the first one. That was what made the first Super Troopers in 2002 so funny their lame 80’s jokes. That is what people are going to see the movie for.
    The Second critic Tom Jorgenson went into the movie with the right attitude. He was expecting a to see what he saw in Super troopers in 2002, and he left the movie satisfied. He states that the cult classic is back. After reading his article he would make me want to see the movie. I will go in expecting a raunchy, dirty, cheesy, 80’s cult classic and I will leave satisfied.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Shooting of Stephon Clark: Who is to Blame?